19% - 5
Australia

38% - 10
North Korea

34% - 9
South Korea

7% - 2
Total Votes: 26
You must be logged in to vote. You may only vote once.

#1 2008-11-01 16:29:47

Oceania vs Australia

Okay this has been bugging me for like 2 years when they made the change.
Supposedly Australia is no longer a continent because of the islands that also make it up.
But people still refer to the continent as Australia instead of Oceania.
So what's the dealio.

Login to hide this advertisement

#2 2008-11-01 17:10:26

Re: Oceania vs Australia

I never heard of "Oceania" being a continent.  I was always taught Australia.

It seems Oceania is just a term to group neighbors together.  Kind of like Central America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

#3 2008-11-01 17:15:11

I agreee with chewbaka. I always thought that Oceania refers to the region of Austraila and the islands by it, like in the United States which gives different regions different names.(I live in the midwest)

Last edited by The Used Nirvana (2008-11-01 17:15:43)

#4 2008-11-01 17:37:07

I only ask this because my school gets planners for all the students and the map refers to Australia as Oceania and one of my smart friends told us about the change when it happened
he had a 5.2 gpa so i thought it was smart to assume he was correct

#5 2008-11-01 17:57:45

I voted for North Korea.

#6 2008-11-01 18:21:20

Me too (and I didn't scroll down beforehand).

And apparently United-Statians call the continent Australia.  I notice that it's the inverse of when they call their country "America".  You guys are complicated, really.

In French Australie is a country and Océanie is a continent, and Amérique is a continent and États-Unis is a country.

I think this might be the first time I ever see something that's simpler in French than in English.

#7 2008-11-01 19:21:26

wow they spell state backwards in french?

#8 2008-11-01 19:41:37

Yeah, French is le grand mort...  As opposed to the petit mort...

But I digress.  There are a lot of names for that region: Australia, Austral-Asia, Strenenlococal Meningitis (sp?), but I think Oceania is the correct name, even though it's stupidly related to the country in which 1984 takes place.

That being said, I'm voting South Korea.

Last edited by AbsintheAndCarnations (2008-11-01 19:42:19)

#9 2008-11-01 19:46:30

Not really.  "é" in French replaces the "s" in several words, like étudiant (student).  I believe the ancient spelling used "es" instead of "é", so that would be where the switch comes from.  The ending "s" is also there in English, it just represents the plural; so the only real difference is that there is no "e" at the end of the word in French.

(reply to Andylink by the way, I started typing it before Absinthe finished and I don't feel like adding a quote)

Last edited by morhkt (2008-11-01 19:47:45)

#10 2008-11-01 22:31:00

morhkt wrote:

And apparently United-Statians call the continent Australia.  I notice that it's the inverse of when they call their country "America".  You guys are complicated, really.

You got that right morkht! Thats why we have a different measuring system than most of the world for some reason.

Last edited by The Used Nirvana (2008-11-01 22:31:45)

#11 2008-11-01 23:10:03

What kind of measuring system?

#12 2008-11-02 01:22:43

We (as in americans) call it "standard" but it is also taught as Imperial system.

Last edited by naruga (2008-11-02 01:30:13)

#13 2008-11-02 07:20:30

Australia is used as a name of a continent (not only in U.S. as some of the people here assumed), and Oceania is a geopolitical territory and the term used in a same manner as Middle East.
Whether you call it Oceania or Australia you are correct as long as you're aware of what it implies.

#14 2008-11-02 08:00:37

So are those islands apart of Australia or Asia?
I'm assuming Australia but I also assumed that the continent was now called Oceania =].

#15 2008-11-02 08:02:08

naruga wrote:

We (as in americans) call it "standard" but it is also taught as Imperial system.

Haha.  Indeed, that's kind of old-fashioned.  So you use slugs to measure mass?

#16 2008-11-02 08:33:36

Andylink wrote:

So are those islands apart of Australia or Asia?
I'm assuming Australia but I also assumed that the continent was now called Oceania =].

The confusion about this subject started cause a lot of people can't perceive the fact that a continent in it's real meaning is a landmass,  but identified by convention- not a literal criteria.
So by a generally accepted standard Australia is a continent even though it's not strictly limited to a single piece of landmass but also islands in Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia .

If you find a term Oceania easier to apprehend, you won't  be wrong if you use it. smile

#17 2008-11-02 10:00:32

morhkt wrote:

naruga wrote:

I don't know anything about slugs we weren't taught to use slugs for mass I've always had to use metric system for science so I guess the answer is no but everything else is imperial system.

#18 2008-11-02 10:01:10

morhkt wrote:

naruga wrote:

Nah. We stopped doing that last Friday. Now we use the Triple Beam Balance. I think my science class was one of the earlest group of people to use triple beam balances until it was widely distributed to the other people. Just kidding, but we do use the Triple Beam Balance, or at least I did to measure the mass of tissue boxes and people hand's (which didn't work out) in science

Last edited by The Used Nirvana (2008-11-02 10:01:56)

#19 2008-11-02 10:08:35

I think the problem of not being able to weigh their hands would go away if they wern't attached to anyone.

Last edited by Turtleboy412 (2008-11-02 16:54:04)

#20 2008-11-02 16:47:15

turtleboy, hands not attached to anyone freaks me out and scares me alot at the same time (Yep thats what I'm afraid of of) so no dice. While were talking about the United States and Australia, does anyone on Dig Your Own Grave or Forums lives in Australia . I just wanted to know because on "the Simpson's" Lisa and Bart get into an arguement because Bart tells Lisa that water flows down the drain in or a toliet any direction because its water, but Lisa tells Bart that thats not true because water flows down in one direction in the Nothern Hemisphere like so l___ but it flows down the opposite direction in the Southern Hempisphere like so___l (I cant draw the whirls good) so then Bart ends up calling a three year old boy saying it was important, but the boys father gets angry at Bart for making his kid use the phone on a long distance call, so they bring Bart to Australia to give him "the boot" as punishment for making a prank call but Bart and his family escapes.
So
-is the water part true?
_did anyone ever see this episode?

Has anyone heard of the band Bodyjar which is from Australia. If you have Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 for Nintendo 64, then you probably heard their song "Not the Same"

maybe I'll put the flow of water on later.
EDIT:http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/Lithium95/WaterFLow-1-1.jpg

Last edited by The Used Nirvana (2008-11-02 17:33:50)

Board footer