Login to hide this advertisement

#1 2013-03-13 23:15:16

Ingress?

Have you guys heard of Ingress? / Do you play? / Are you waiting on your activation code?

for those of you that haven't: www.ingress.com  (or for a more in-depth look around at the going ons: https://plus.google.com/s/%23ingress)

it's this amazing augmented reality game you play on your smartphone, there are two sides, the Resistance and the Enlightened. Basically the premise is that the "shapers" are invading the earth, and trying to take over the minds of the humans who live there. The Enlightened believe in the change, they think that it has been a long time coming, and that it is basically the next step in evolution, while the Resistance are trying to save what's left of humanity.

It takes real life places, such as post offices or monuments and turns them into portals that can be claimed for either faction. You can then use these portals to create links to other portals, and once you've created a triangle you create a control field which gains your faction "mind units"
then you can hack the portals for items to use in game. It's currently in a closed beta which is why I asked about the activation codes. from the website you can put yourself on the list to get a code, it took my code about 2 weeks to get to my email, but there are ways to impress the creators on google plus and they will sometimes send you an invite (these ways are mostly art work and creative posts about the game and wanting to play)

It's seriously addictive. I've begun planning trips to the store and bike routes to class around where the portals are situated in Kingston.

TL;DR - INGRESS IS SO MUCH FUN YOU GUYS SHOULD START PLAYING

Login to hide this advertisement

#2 2013-04-05 18:39:53

Re: Ingress?

double posting because I just realized they gave me an invite to use! is anyone interested in playing? big_smile

#3 2013-04-05 19:01:51

I would but I'm still living in the early 2000's.

#4 2013-04-05 21:08:31

Yeah, no smartphone here.

#5 2013-04-06 03:56:45

Still on prepaid even...

#6 2013-04-06 07:09:10

Well luckily, being the advanced robot I am, I have a smartphone, so this being the first time I have heard of Ingress (it seems pretty cool indeed), I have downloaded it and am waiting on the activation code. Hooray! smile

#7 2013-04-06 09:29:17

I have a Windows phone tongue Will that work? xD

#8 2013-04-06 16:06:28

I've heard of it, but alas, I have a flip-phone!

#9 2013-04-11 22:07:12

If there are any more invites flying around, give ol' Iceman one please.

#10 2013-04-12 10:44:15

It's crossed my mind to get a smartphone, actually.
There's a service provider that has this prepaid subscription (or whatever it is), that comes with a "100Mb for 1 euro" deal.
Whenever you use the internet on your smartphone, 1 euro gets taken from the money you paid, and you can send/receive (I have no idea which) 100Mb of data, valid only the calendar day you activated it.
If you don't use it (and that includes surfing via wifi), you don't pay anything.

I think this would be the cheapest option for me, since I'm not keen on using a "phone" for anything other than calling or text messaging, but everyone and everything kind of assumes you have mobile internet nowadays...

Thing is: I have no idea how far 100Mb will get you, or what you can do with it before the bundle runs out.
Is it a lot?

#11 2013-04-12 22:06:22

I have a 200MB/day plan when I travel. It's more than enough for me for doing emails and casual web surfing. I usually wouldn't go over 30-40MB a day.

#12 2013-04-13 09:55:32

Hm. So what I'm understanding, is that 100Mb for one day is quite a lot?
Not mega-huge, but enough not to run out within two clicks? (or taps, or pushes, or whatever...)

#13 2013-04-13 17:33:35

Yes, it's enough if you're just going to do email, web surfing, or maybe using maps. Stay away from online videos, they can be big, wait to download apps over wifi, and make sure to disable auto-updating of your existing apps. I think most Android phones have a data usage monitor, which isn't 100% accurate but can give you an idea of how much you're using.

#14 2013-04-13 17:57:23

Wheelnut, I have 2.2Gb per month and I'm lucky to use even a Gb of of it, this includes videos from youtube AND downloading and updating plenty of apps (most of my apps get updated via mobile network).

Email, facebook, visiting forums and (for me) cracked.com is not even 200Mb in a month.
I think, you'll be safe, especially on a prepaid sim (so long as they cannot directly debit your bank account or credit cards).

#15 2013-04-14 00:28:34

yeah i have a limit of 200mb a month and have only ever hit that limit once, and that's with Ingress and all the other surfing I do, so I think you would be fine

#16 2013-04-14 14:22:16

aha...
Well, I recently started text messaging a lot, so perhaps I'll need a monthly subscription of some kind, instead of a prepaid one...

I'll look into it when my financial state has settled down, with all the new car buying and moving house and stuff... It's quite draining on one's funds...

Last edited by Wheelnut (2013-04-14 14:23:33)

#17 2013-04-14 22:33:39

i still have my invite if you're interested Ice, sorry I didn't see your comment until just now.
I'll give it to you.....if....you promise to go Enlightened tongue

#18 2013-04-15 05:55:53

If Iceman does not claim it, I'll grab it. Seems fairly interesting, and I'm curious about how it deals with Australia. tongue

#19 2013-04-15 09:38:10

Speaking of invites, I seem to have just received my own, and will give it a go as soon I'm in a position to play it.

Also, from what I've read about it, I probably will be going for Enlightened. big_smile

#20 2013-04-15 16:36:47

i'll give Ice a day or so to claim it but if he doesn't it's all yours Neb, i think the Southern Hemisphere could use another Ingress player big_smile

actually I saw yesterday that the first L8 portal went up in New Zealand, i forget for which faction but yeah smile Australia is pretty active

Board footer