Login to hide this advertisement

#1 2014-05-27 22:49:49

Battlestar Galactica

Okay, so I started watching the newer version of Battlestar Galactica recently, on my downtime from studying. And while I actually quite enjoyed the miniseries, after the first few episodes of the first season, I was utterly disappointed.  I for some reason chose to keep watching, in the hopes that it might get better, but after the complete disgrace that was the second season finale and first few episodes of season three, I give up. I marched my way to the internet, where I expected to find many a sympathetic voice to console me, when lo and behold, I find out I am in the tiny, insignificant minority. People actually Love this show. mad So I thought I would put it to my fellow LGNers. Have any of you seen it, and if so, what are your opinions? hmm

P.S. I will write up my long list of complaints if anyone has seen it and likes it. smile

Login to hide this advertisement

#2 2014-05-28 09:54:33

Re: Battlestar Galactica

Nope, haven't seen any of it.

#3 2014-05-28 12:57:13

I can't in good conscience recommend it, but it has the internets seal of approval, so it could just be me. XD

#4 2014-05-28 14:17:22

Would you say it is like Star Trek, Star Wars, or Doctor Who?

...'Cuz I haven't seen any of those either.

#5 2014-05-29 01:31:38

I've seen Star Trek, but which series are you referring to?
Off the top of my head, I can think of five (not counting the movies), but I might be unaware of a few...

#6 2014-05-29 09:58:04

That's fine Potato, it's not really like any of those anyways. Those shows are all pretty decent. XD

#7 2014-05-30 09:23:28

I watched the first couple of seasons of the new version of Battlestar and then got bored of it.

Then after a long while, I jumped to the final season, enjoyed it, and was glad to see they brought it all to an end. 

Hate it when a season finale make one of those crappy last minute begs for a new season. V was the worst for that - I was actually glad it was scrapped

#8 2014-05-31 11:55:25

So are you saying that you actually Liked that nonsense? To me it felt like every episode was a personal attack on my intelligence. Which, understandably, made me frustrated.

I do also hate that stupid twist they do to try to save themselves. Which is why I quit at the end of the second season of Battlestar. The whole two first seasons took place over approximately 8 months. Then between the season 2 finale and season 3 premier, they skip 2 years. I Despise jumps to the future, they are tacky and an obvious bid to keep a dying show running.

#9 2014-08-08 22:44:13

Hmm, don't know how I missed this thread before.

Here's my thoughts for you.

First off, I'm old enough to remember the ORIGINAL BSG when it was brand new. Had the T-Shirts, action figures, comics (I still have some comics too!) the novel. (Might have that too!)  Hell, I recall the debacle that was BSG 1980! I watched that too, but didn't know any better. Later, I was involved in a fan fiction writing group for a few years.

I recall when the new BSG was announced I was excited but then disappointment set in. Starbuck was a girl? Okay, Boomer switching genders I could live with... but Starbuck??? Loved Dirk Benedict as Starbuck!

So it took a bit to get over that and I was determined to give nBSG a fair shake. It turns out, I really did enjoy it! The writing was very good and the whole story, top to bottom, was enjoyable. It was a darker and grittier series, far less playful than the 70's version. The between seasons webisodes helped fill in some of the plot gaps and overall helped move things along.

Eventually, I bought into a female Starbuck. Ejoyed the Cylon 'skin job' part of the story. (I recognise that this allowed for cheaper filming, but the idea that they impersonated humans just makes sense anyways.)

From a technical point of view, I really enjoyed the film techniques they used. Sound effects were well done (no sound in space!) I recall the opening shot of the pilot being a 7 minute continuous 'one-take' effort. (Watch it again!)

Overall, a very good re-envisioning of the entire series.

---

Now if they would ever bring back Babylon 5...

Board footer