Login to hide this advertisement

#1 2016-08-29 10:21:51

Text Adventuring

Alright, people responded positively to my suggesting of playing a text adventure based game, so here it goes.

For those who are confused about what a text adventure is, here's a brief explanation.
Text adventures are games where the player interacts with the world solely through typed commands.
The world itself is also comprised of descriptive text. That means a lot of reading is involved. There's no pictures, bar an illustration or two.

A few examples of commands are "Look (at)", "Examine", "Use (with)", "Go to", etcetera.
(Look at room, examine rock, use ketchup with indian food, go to France, that sort of thing.)

Normally the path one takes through such a game is limited by the valid commands and responses the builder of the game has programmed in, but in this case the game isn't programmed beforehand.
That means whoever is hosting can respond to whatever the players put in, and adjust the game path how they see fit.

I will be framing the game thusly:

This space is where I will describe environment and respond to input.

Here I will state whatever usable items the players are carrying.

I would appreciate it if you would similarly frame your input to the game, and leave random comments and questions out of it.

Everything clear? Okay, here goes a simple game to get into things:

Login to hide this advertisement

#2 2016-08-29 10:24:35

Re: Text Adventuring

You are in a ROOM

Easy enough, right?
I think I'll keep highlighting text.

#3 2016-08-29 11:45:29

Ooooh, this sounds like fun!

> Look around

#4 2016-08-29 21:42:48

> Examine ROOM

#5 2016-08-30 10:12:56

Hm. In this case, both of those would yield the same result.
Simply because there's very little to further examine.
But you didn't know that yet. Doesn't mean it was the only thing to do though...

You take a look around.
The room you are in is small and simple, rectangular in shape.
The walls and ceiling are white and smooth, the floor is more of a creamish color.
The room is lit by a fluorescent light on the ceiling. It gives the room a clinical ambience.
There is a box sitting on the floor in the middle of the room.
There is a door in the corner of the room.

I'm not going to update every time someone makes a post, just so you know.
Just keep doing random things to random items, and I'll try to update at least once a week.

#6 2016-08-30 11:16:35

Hm, okay, this is very intriguing. I was wondering how this was going to work with multiple people giving commands, but I suppose that it'll work as long as no one tries to give conflicting commands. You'll all be co-operative though, right guys? tongue

> Examine the contents of the box

#7 2016-08-30 12:12:58

I was waiting for the update before adding anything.

> Open box

(Gotta open it before it can be examined, else you get the smart ass response "Can't see inside the box" LOL)

#8 2016-08-30 13:06:01

Hm, does the order of the command posts matter then?

> Open door

#9 2016-08-30 14:41:35

The order does not matter, nor does any conflict. I'll rearrange and shuffle to get the best out of it anyway.
Commands need not be too specific, as long as the intent is clear.

You open the box. The box is now open, the lid is lying next to it on the floor.
You attempt to open the door, but it is locked.

Opening the box is a perfect example. Just "open the box" would only have gotten you the first line, "examine the contents" without an opening command would have made me open the box anyway. As I said before, there's a human element here.

#10 2016-08-30 15:10:13

> Examine bicycle

#11 2016-08-30 15:35:35

I was expecting this to be like one of those older ones where you need the exact text to do things. Sorry for rehashing your command, Legor!

#12 2016-08-30 15:41:22

Is one person allowed to input more than one command at once by the way? tongue

> Examine locked door (perhaps we're missing something there big_smile )

#13 2016-08-30 16:16:52

> Look under door

#14 2016-08-31 05:54:28

More than one command isn't a problem, just don't do everything all at once.
And robo is right, you are still missing something.

You pick up the lighter and the string, and put them wherever you happen to be carrying your inventory.

You pick up and examine the tiny bicycle. It's obviously not meant to be ridden, but rather as a decorative piece or a toy.
The frame is made of thick, steel wire, as are the rims of the wheels. The saddle and tires are made of cheap plastic.
You decide to stick it with the rest of your items.

You examine the door. It's your average, standard, smooth white hardboard and vineer door. The handle is also basic. A straight, brushed aluminium handle, with an ordinary cylindrical tumbler lock below it. The hinges tell you the door opens towards you.
The underside of the door has bristles attached to prevent draft. They also prevent you from seeing anything behind the door.

-Disposable cigarette lighter
-Piece of string
-Miniature bicycle

#15 2016-08-31 07:14:03

> Lift out hinge pins (I don't know what they're actually called)

#16 2016-08-31 08:12:36

>Get lid

#17 2016-08-31 10:57:51

> Shout to see if there's anyone nearby who can hear us

#18 2016-08-31 13:38:49

>Push box

#19 2016-08-31 13:43:42

> Examine lighter

I want to see if we can use it to light things on fire.

#20 2016-09-01 09:58:25

I see the less than straight forward ideas are starting to come.

In an attempt to unhinge the door you try to take the pins out of the hinges, but you don't have enough leverage to make them budge.
Standing by the door, you shout out: "HEY! IS ANYONE OUT THERE?!?", but there's not even a sound, let alone a reply.

You turn around to pick up the box lid. You carry it around with pride.
Using your foot, you push away the box from its original position, only to reveal absolutely nothing underneath.

You take the lighter to examine it further. It's an average disposable lighter, made out of clear blue plastic. Inside it, you can see there's plenty of butane left. You try to light it, and a thumb sized flame comes out the top.

-Disposable cigarette lighter
-Piece of string
-Miniature bicycle
-Box lid

Is this what you were looking for?

Board footer