Login to hide this advertisement

#1 2007-09-19 20:34:59

Rankosaurus FAQ

Q: I don't want to use Rankosaurus. Is there any way I can still submit screenshots for Dig Your Own Grave highscores?

A: No. Too many people were cheating by editing their screenshots. Rankosaurus will prevent that.

Q: What will happen to the old highscores on Dig Your Own Grave? Are you going to remove them?

A: Existing scores will stay as-is. You'll still be able to view them and dispute them on DYOG. However, I will probably pick a few games and clear their existing leaderboards. Candidates for highscore wipes will be games that had a lot of problems with cheaters in the past.

Q: Will there be Mac or Opera support in the future?

A: There probably won't be any support for other browsers or for the Mac until there is a high enough demand.

You can find more Rankosaurus related information in the Rankosaurus FAQ.

Login to hide this advertisement

#2 2007-09-19 20:36:00

Re: Rankosaurus FAQ

You can post questions about Rankosaurus to this thread. I'll compile the most common questions & answers into the FAQ at the top, or add them to the Rankosaurus FAQ.

FYI, I'll be deleting posts of repeat questions, and questions that I move into the top FAQ in order to keep this thread short.

#3 2008-04-19 20:13:38

i can't get the screen shot thingy to work, and i downloaded rankosaurus and the firefox add on thing.
and it says to go to file, then take a screen shot, but there is no "take a screen shot thing"
how do i do it?

#4 2008-04-19 22:42:25

If you're using Firefox, all you need to do is right-click on the page you want to take a screenshot of. There should be a 'Rankosaurus' option in the right click menu, and from there you can do 'Take Screenshot'.

If you're using IE, you have to start up the Rankosaurus Screen Grabber, then select File->Take Screenshot...

#5 2008-04-21 13:58:53

yeah i have the rankosaurus thing on firefox and i can't make it work.

its enabled too

Last edited by LolzorMan (2008-04-21 13:59:11)

#6 2008-04-21 14:58:23

You guys need to provide a little more information when you post your problems. Are you getting an error? If so, what is the error? Are you trying to take a screenshot with IE or Firefox? Is there something in particular you don't understand?

The best thing to do is write out the steps you are following to try and take a screenshot, and where in the process you get stuck.

I can't help you if you just say "I can't get it to work".

#7 2008-04-22 17:18:29

Maybe they have the same problem I do: I installed the rankosaurus FF application no problem, when I right click I see the Rankosaurus option, click 'take a screenshot'  which opens a grabber.
So it's all fine to this point, but then in grabber I click 'file' it opens a 'Take Screenshot' option which instead showing the screenshot location shows *no compatible browser windows found* ..

Meh, talk is cheap:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5377/80360422ql3.jpg

#8 2008-04-22 18:25:05

You shouldn't need to actually go to the physical Screen Grabber application if you are running the Firefox add-on, and there might be the problem...As long as you are connected to the server, you just right click anywhere within the browser in Firefox and there should be a "Rankosaurus" option with a connected drop down menu, which when hovered over has the option "Take a screenshot." Since the Firefox add-on was created after the Rankosaurus program was, it would make sense that the actual application would not recognize any compatible browsers, because it is only looking for IE.

At least, that was the case when I had Rankosaurus installed on my Firefox for a time.

Last edited by Pirotechnix (2008-04-22 18:26:57)

#9 2008-04-22 18:35:08

Hmmm... nika, the behavior you're getting on your machine isn't actually the way it's supposed to work.

When you choose 'Take Screenshot' from within the Firefox right-click menu, it's supposed to silently open the Screen Grabber and automatically take and upload the screenshot for you. You should never actually see the window open.

There is likely a bug causing things to misbehave. The first thing I would do is check what version of the Screen Grabber you have. I can't tell from your screenshot (because the menu is covering it), but it needs to be at least version 1.0.1.1 if you're using the FF extension.

If that isn't the problem we'll need to explore some other possibilities...

#10 2008-04-23 01:40:10

I figured it out: when I right clicked and scrolled down to Rankosaurus I opened 'set screen grabber location', found it on the drive and clicked OK and since then it's working fine.
Version is 1.0.0.1, I re -installed it  from Rankosaurus site and this was the version I got.

#11 2008-04-23 03:14:20

Great! Glad you were able to get it working.

#12 2008-06-17 21:57:01

Will there be a compatible version of rankosaurus for firefox 3 (launched today) sometime in the near future?

#13 2008-06-18 00:50:46

If you've already installed Firefox 3, and Rankosaurus was disabled, go to Tools->Add-ons and then click Find Updates. That should update your version of Rankosaurus.

If you haven't upgraded to Firefox 3 yet, from this point on Rankosaurus will automatically update when you do the Firefox3 install.

Let me know if you have any problems.

#14 2008-07-05 14:53:07

i downloaded a parallel desktop program to create a virtual XP on mac .... i got it up, downloaded screen grabber ... tried to install it ... computer shut down, and when i restarted it i couldnt open the the file ...

oh well, it might work on other macs, as long as it doesnt shut itself down during the progress. i wont try to do it again cos i dont care anymore, but admin, warn ppl not to do what i did (if there's anyone else here with a mac) if u know it wont work

anyways, the virtual xp or whatever u call it works just fine with other XP programs like IE, but not major ones.

#15 2008-07-06 03:47:07

Does Rankosaurus work if you use Firefox on a Mac?

#16 2008-07-06 04:00:27

No, Rankosaurus is PC only.

And I don't know why it doesn't work on the Mac XP emulator, but Rankosaurus works on XP, so it's a problem with the emulator and not with Rankosaurus.

#17 2008-07-07 10:23:55

let's just say this computer is too old to speculate that, so it wouldnt surprise me if it works for other macs

#18 2008-08-04 11:44:15

I use Mozilla Firefox but can't get Rankosaurus to work. I tried the Firefox addon thing but I couldn't get it. Can you tell me how to fix it?

#19 2008-08-04 12:19:40

I'll need some more information to be able to help you out. What do you mean when you say "but I couldn't get it"? Let me know what error message(s) you're receiving when you run into this problem.

Also remember that Rankosaurus is PC-only. There is no Mac support.

#20 2008-08-07 13:07:50

Ok rankosaurus is loaded and everything and I can open it. But the problem is I have Firefox, and even though I loaded the Firefox addon for rankosaurus it says that no compatible browser can be found. I don't get it!!! Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer