Login to hide this advertisement

#1 2017-05-05 05:44:47

Question about bots

Does anyone know what Admin's policy about bots is? I was thinking of running something that would make a page request every couple minutes, but I don't want to get IP banned or have admin mad at me. Putting it here because I guess this is technical support?

Login to hide this advertisement

#2 2017-05-05 07:21:40

Re: Question about bots

I'm a bot and I haven't been banned so obviously he allows bots haha okay there's the obvious joke out of the way tongue

I doubt Admin would get mad at you regardless - you're a trusted, regular user and Admin's a big, bearded, friendly admin. big_smile That being said, it doesn't sound like something he'd approve of. Not that I'm especially aware of his bot policy. It does remind me of the time I made a second account and Admin banned it. Fun times. big_smile Anyway, what is this for exactly? I guess it may also depend on the purpose of such a thing. I would suggest PM'ing him, but I don't know how regularly he checks those these days. No harm in trying to PM him anyway, I guess. tongue

#3 2017-05-05 09:24:41

Haha, well done pointing out the obvious joke Robot, and with that out of the way... tongue

By make a page request I am guessing you mean to just automatically refresh the page periodically, to see when someone else posts so that you can post again, am I right? I don't see any reason that should present as malicious, I sit there refreshing constantly sometimes to try to get a good number or something. Plus as far as I can tell Admin does not really seem to be particularly involved here anymore. DYOG died completely, which bummed me out. sad

#4 2017-05-05 15:50:36

Aw, don't be sad, Screamy. D: Technically, DYOG isn't completely dead, posts are just really rare. There have been 3 so far this year, so posts are like, on an every other month basis or something. tongue It's a shame I haven't seen Admin on the forums for so long though - I miss him. D: Is that something to be concerned about? Is he just going to completely forget this place exists and just stop hosting it or something soon? I hope not. Now you've got me worried. D:

Anyway, if that's what Potato means, then that doesn't sound too bad. If Admin were here, I don't think he'd be opposed to that, especially if it's just every couple minutes. Having been here the longest, I think I have the best idea of what Admin might say. Ooh, can I be the new Admin? big_smile After all, my ten year anniversary is on the 24th. That must be a qualifier, surely? tongue

#5 2017-05-05 16:19:13

I'm just thinking I'll write some code to send me a text when other users post a number so I can get the next one up quickly. If we're gonna hit a million, we need to start counting a little faster tongue

#6 2017-05-05 17:31:37

I suspected it might be something like that. tongue I agree that it would be very useful indeed. My only request would be that you share it with the rest of us if you were to do so. big_smile

#7 2017-05-05 23:30:20

Hmmm, sounds like a sneaky way to steal pally's.

On the other hand, at least Robot doesn't get them. smile

PS... who's been around the longest?

Last edited by thepara (2017-05-05 23:30:55)

#8 2017-05-06 03:28:13

Para, you don't count because you weren't active on the forum itself until years after you actually signed up. tongue Anyway, Potato's my pal, so he'd let me have some palindromes too, I'm sure of it! big_smile

Board footer