I'm putting this here because I'd like this process to be as transparent as possible. This will be the master thread for discussing the project I'm calling "Littlegrey Archive."
As we've discussed in a couple threads recently, it might be a good idea to back up the contents of our beloved home, The Littlegrey Network. Technical details will be posted in the following post for the sake of organization.
1. Reach an agreement that that the site's contents should be archived. Done.
2. Create the data structure and format for storage.
3. Write and test the code that will support creating and maintaining the archive.
4. Set a window for when the initial archive should be generated.
5. Determine how often and with what level of detail the archive should be updated.
6. Finalize any required automation for this process (preferably include some mechanism for at least two users to access everything so the torch can be passed on if necessary).
7. Make the archive available in the event of the death of LGN.
Last edited by Potato Famine (2018-03-06 21:25:02)
I'm using Python. I'm not negotiating unless you'd like to write and run the code yourself. Sorry, that's harsh, but I don't want to argue this. I'll make the code available at some point and link it here.
I'll be using MySQL. Again, this isn't really open to negotiation unless you'd like to host it and run it yourself. However, the structure of the tables is on the table (pun intended ). Here is the structure I've come up with so far, it will be changed and added to as we flesh out what's needed:
POSTS ID MEDIUMINT [UNSIGNED] POSTER_ID MEDIUMINT [UNSIGNED] POST_TIME TIMESTAMP EDIT_TIME TIMESTAMP MESSAGE TEXT(65535) DELETED BIT TOPICS ID SMALLINT [UNSIGNED] CATEGORY_ID TINYINT [UNSIGNED] TITLE VARCHAR(255) CATEGORIES ID TINYINT [UNSIGNED] TITLE VARCHAR(100) DESCRIPTION VARCHAR(255) USERS ID MEDIUMINT [UNSIGNED] USERNAME VARCHAR(25) CREATE_DT DATE BLURB TEXT(65535) ?????
Last edited by Potato Famine (2018-03-06 21:45:15)
As someone who's familiar with both Python and MySQL, I am pleased with these choices. Also, this is awesome! It's fantastic to see this project actually going forward, I'm really excited about this! This is such a good thing you're doing - as someone who's been around since the very early days of the forum, I couldn't be more thankful that you're doing this. It'll be amazing to see this project come alive.
Well, we don't really have any way to contact him, do we? Only through here, so we could only do that if he returned someday. Which is looking less and less likely everyday.
Even if we could contact him, I don't see myself (or any of you) as worthy to step into God's shoes.
EDIT: This somehow reminds me of Jurassic Park. I don't know why.
Last edited by Potato Famine (2018-03-08 16:45:04)