Login to hide this advertisement

#4981 2018-04-27 11:07:47

Re: Fruitcake Lounge

If I could go back to a prepaid flip phone, I would, but it's just a lot cheaper to send a whole bunch of messages through the interweb data than sending them through SMS texting.

My current plan lets me divide 500 units between phoning (1 unit per minute), texting ( 1 unit per text), and internet data (1 unit per MB). I've used up about 3 mb's worth of Whatsapp messages last month. In texts, thats... erm... I haven't counted. I think it's well over 100, perhaps 200, perhaps more. I don't know.

In prepay costs, that number of texts would cost me more than I pay now.
In mobile data costs, the number of mb's  would cost me more than I pay now.
Getting a plan with unlimited texts (which would also come with an amount of data), would cost me more than I pay now.
I could also get a cheaper plan with another provider, but I would get a set amount of calling minutes, a set amount of text messages, and a set amount of mobile mb's.
I probably won't use any of it, but the thought that I can vary my usage without penalty is comforting.

Something like the LG wine would be cool. Or the Jelly. Something that would fit in my pockets.

Login to hide this advertisement

#4982 2018-05-01 18:23:51

I actually made the transition from my old, non internet, phone to a smart phone like a year ago, and still just have prepaid on it. It was almost daily that someone told me I was the last person they came across to not have a smart phone.
Pretty much felt obligated to get a smart phone cause almost noone cares for sms texting or simple phone calls to have a little talk. Not to mention that everyone expects you to have internet accessibility when you are out and about to look up changes in schedules or information or whatever. Since I still don't have a data plan I rely on free wifi spots, or wait and read the whatsapp messages once I get home.

#4983 2018-05-07 10:55:21

I think you misunderstood.

My peeve is not with the concept of the smart phone, or the subscription costs.
It's the large size of even the "smallest" modern phones.

#4984 2018-05-07 18:21:52

I see. It's true; we almost have to carry fanny bags since these phones can't fit in our pockets. Not to mention that the old phones were much sturdier, not cracking or breaking when dropping out of pockets. I managed to leave my old nokia phone behind in the washing machine twice before it wouldn't start anymore.

#4985 2018-05-08 10:08:56

I'm waiting for the day that everyone goes '90s style, using a belt-clip to hang their bricks from the waist band of their pants...

Board footer