Login to hide this advertisement

#1 2018-02-24 10:15:10

Would you go to Mars?

With all the recent successes in commercialized space technology, I've been thinking: Who would go to Mars?

Elon Musk has said multiple times that he wants to see a city there comprised of about one million people in his lifetime. If you were given the chance, would you go to Mars? What skills do you bring that you think would qualify you for this? What do you think some of the unexpected challenges involved in either the travel or your new life would be?

Login to hide this advertisement

#2 2019-04-14 16:02:02

Re: Would you go to Mars?

Great question. On one hand, the chance to etch your name, forever, as a first colonist on another planet would be amazing. On the other hand, if I was doing the criteria, I wouldn't already be disqualified under my own criteria for early colonists.

The first few years of Martian colonisation would be all about setting up the initial life support structures. Once that is established, then you're looking at the rest of the colonists and the best criteria for them. Everyone must be able contribute to the colony and not be a drain.

You're looking at scientists, engineers and heavy construction workers to begin with. The construction workers would need to be the creative types, almost engineers themselves. The scientists will need to be primarily bio sciences to begin with. Those that are trained/experienced in water, water extraction, filtration etc and then agricultural scientists.

This covers food, water, sustainability and structural engineering and construction. You'll need support personnel, but not as many. Information technology, mechanical engineers and medical personnel.

All people that go should be of child rearing/bearing years and be expected to be popping out babies after a set amount of time. That time would be once the colony becomes fully self sustaining, possibly 5-10 years.

Anyone who is beyond child bearing years should not be a part of the early colonization process unless they have a skill set or experience that cannot be found in someone younger.

Okay... that's enough writing about this. Volumes of books could be written on this subject, I feel. LOL

#3 2019-04-15 03:49:42

Send botanists. They can survive on their own.

How did that movie end, by the way?
DVR cut off the last few minutes. He just got shot into space, and... it stopped.

#4 2019-04-15 20:44:31

Botanist... that's where ET comes in. His people are expert botanists. (80s reference!)

I forget how that ended. LOL

Board footer